Accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada. The following degree programmes are approved:
- Master of Divinity
- Master of Theological Studies
The Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools in the US and Canada
10 Summit Park Drive, Pittsburgh, PA 15275, USA
Telephone: 412-788-6505 • Fax: 412-788-6510 • Website: www.ats.edu
See our institutional page on the ATS website.
Statement of Educational Effectiveness
The Association of Theological Schools requires each institution to publish data demonstrating “the extent to which students have achieved the various goals of the degree programs they have completed as well as indicators of program effectiveness, such as the percentage of students who complete the program and the percentage of graduates who find placement appropriate to their vocational intention and theological education” (Educational Standard 6).
Concordia Lutheran Theological Seminary is dedicated to providing the highest quality of theological education. The following data demonstrate to some extent the effectiveness of our two accredited degree programmes, and our non-accredited Diploma route.
The CLTS Registrar’s office tracks the progress of all students from their entry into each programme through to their graduation or departure. Graduation rates are only a partial indicator of educational effectiveness. The seminary not only endeavours to help suitable students complete their degree programme, but also maintains rigorous standards designed to filter those who are not suited for the pastoral office or do not have the ability required to complete a graduate degree.
- Only students officially accepted into academic programmes are included in these data.
- Entry dates indicate the year in which students were officially received into the programme and do not include time spent on campus fulfilling prerequisites (e.g., in a pre-seminary year).
- Excluding pre-seminary work, the MDiv normally requires four years of full-time study.
- The MTS normally requires two years of full-time study.
- Students who transfer their work to a degree in another institution are excluded from graduation rates.
Vocational Placement Rate
As CLTS is a seminary of Lutheran Church-Canada, the majority of her students enter into the synod’s placement process. Students belonging to other church bodies rely on their own church’s placement process, and generally are sponsored before entering CLTS. While placement is not guaranteed, the following statistics demonstrate that we have been nearly 100% successful in providing pastoral placements for of our graduates within 6 months of the date of graduation. Qualified candidates who voluntarily deferred and candidates who could not be immediately placed have all been placed by the following year.
- As the Master of Theological Studies degree is not vocational, placement statistics are not applicable.
- Graduates of the synodical colloquy programme are not included in these figures.
- Diploma graduates are included.
Graduating Student Questionnaire
Since 2009 our MDiv, MTS, and Diploma programme graduates have assessed their educational progress at CLTS through a standardised questionnaire. The following chart summarises their satisfaction with their growth in the knowledge and skills required for their vocation.